Automobiles Forum banner

4000 Quattro AAN Turbo conversion - Alaska Style

48K views 329 replies 27 participants last post by  kompressorgolf 
#1 ·
I have never posted a comment on here, let alone a topic, but I have used this forum for extensive research. Thanks to all the enthusiasts on here, technology is so awesome for spreading information. With that being said, the plan is to do the 4000Q to AAN conversion. Being in Alaska makes for longer duration's for part retrieval so I have planned out as much as I could and made my order. The bulk of them are on the way. My buds at Arctic Import in Anchorage are going to be working with me on this thanks to them.

Pre-Start Parts List:

Immaculate 1986 4000CS Quattro with 78K original miles. (Truly in remarkable condition)
100K S4 AAN motor with stock turbo out of California
034 S4 Stage IIc EFI Package with relay panel upgrade
034 7A stage 3 clutch/flywheel
034 Coil pack upgrade with coils
034 20V water manifold
Silicone coolant hose kit/head studs/head gasket/snubber mount with bracket/and some more miscellaneous parts

Post start Parts List: (Still figuring out or waiting on availability)

Going to use an inter cooler from a wrecked 3b (If it will fit) - Looking for input on that.
2Bennet Custom Stainless 3" Exhaust
2Bennet Coil Over Kit
Koni struts

I probably forgot something but this is what I have off the top of my head.
Now for pics.....

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice car to start with! You're gonna have to decide what to do for the intake manifold/side radiator situation. If you want to use the factory 3b intercooler maybe the 3b intake manifold route would be best. I'm not sure tho.

#6 ·
Save yourself some cash and follow Aaron's diy (speeding-g60) on coil overs, the 2B ones are pricy! Also, it might be cheaper to have a custom exhaust fabbed up locally considering the shipping cost.

Your car looks immaculate, this will be a cool project for sure.

#8 ·
pkw said:
not so sure that 7a clutch and flywheel will work with the 4k trans. the trans that came in them is a 016. 7a trans is 01a
That was recommended directly from 034 motorsports, SInce it is the weekend I can still edit my order. Anybody else want to chime in on the 3b vs 7a flywheel/clutch for the stock 4000Q? I'll probably just call them back in the morning, perhaps this was a mis communication. Thanks for the input!

#9 ·
PRY4SNO said:
Save yourself some cash and follow Aaron's diy (speeding-g60) on coil overs, the 2B ones are pricy! Also, it might be cheaper to have a custom exhaust fabbed up locally considering the shipping cost.

Your car looks immaculate, this will be a cool project for sure.
Thanks man, yeah I am still in the air with the Suspension/Exhaust.

#10 ·
Namreg Rac said:
pkw said:
not so sure that 7a clutch and flywheel will work with the 4k trans. the trans that came in them is a 016. 7a trans is 01a
That was recommended directly from 034 motorsports, SInce it is the weekend I can still edit my order. Anybody else want to chime in on the 3b vs 7a flywheel/clutch for the stock 4000Q? I'll probably just call them back in the morning, perhaps this was a mis communication. Thanks for the input!
If you're not changing transmissions, 7A stuff = no good. As pkw said, the cars the 7A came in (B3 coupe quattro and 90 20V) had an 01A type transmission, your car has an 016 transmission.

The two big differences are the input shaft splines are different (so the clutch disc would not fit the shaft on your transmission) and the pilot bearing on the 01A lives in the flywheel vs. in the end of the crankshaft on the 016 - in other words the input shaft on the 016 is longer. The latter item also means you'll have to install a pilot bearing in the end of the AAN crankshaft.

You might want to take a look at my 4KQ build thread here: http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36595 for ideas. There's also some good info in my 80 build thread here: http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42240, particularly in relation to using a modded AAN intake manifold rather than using a 3B manifold or having the radiator sit at a weird angle.

#11 ·
elaw said:
Namreg Rac said:
pkw said:
If you're not changing transmissions, 7A stuff = no good. As pkw said, the cars the 7A came in (B3 coupe quattro and 90 20V) had an 01A type transmission, your car has an 016 transmission.

The two big differences are the input shaft splines are different (so the clutch disc would not fit the shaft on your transmission) and the pilot bearing on the 01A lives in the flywheel vs. in the end of the crankshaft on the 016 - in other words the input shaft on the 016 is longer. The latter item also means you'll have to install a pilot bearing in the end of the AAN crankshaft.

You might want to take a look at my 4KQ build thread here: http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36595 for ideas. There's also some good info in my 80 build thread here: http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42240, particularly in relation to using a modded AAN intake manifold rather than using a 3B manifold or having the radiator sit at a weird angle.
Thanks for the info! I'm checking your thread out now. Yep, I made a rookie mistake, I am sure there are plenty more to come.

#12 ·
weird....When I called 034 about the clutch and flywheel, the guy suggested the 7A set up. He even asked the type of tranny. 016 is what I said. But he did put me on hold to ask someone else. Guess that is what these threads are for.

#13 ·
JRW said:
weird....When I called 034 about the clutch and flywheel, the guy suggested the 7A set up. He even asked the type of tranny. 016 is what I said. But he did put me on hold to ask someone else. Guess that is what these threads are for.
No worries J, I got it taken care of. Next week its on, I hope you are ready.

#14 ·
JRW said:
you have to be careful who you talk to there for sure. I only like talking to Nate. (with all due respect) I have noticed that some others seem enthusiastic enough, and like to talk cars, but do not fully understand how a car works.

#17 ·
Yup, that's half the problem. Other half is the splines on the 7A clutch disc don't match the 016 tranny. Spline count and shaft diameter are both different, so there's no way I can think of it could be creatively adapted.

#21 ·
yea do your wallet a favor and dont waste ur loot on anything 2bennet unless its
2nd hand. those guys are bandits. build your own coils & exhuast.
http://www.mandrel-bends.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for cheap bends, ask for their B-stock list for even cheaper stuff,
they're ones with minimal imperfections that they cant sell as grade-A bends. super good deals.

very nice 4000q, never seen one w black interiour before. now that i think about it,
i dont think ive ever seen another OE black 4000q besides my 84'. i got the poopy brown interiour tho, no fancy leather for me....

#22 ·
oh, check out this AAN 400q build, very clean very nice.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45199" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
used a mkIII vr6 radiator front-mount somehow packed it all in there....
im starting to hate the side mounts too, from now on im going front mount,
or re-locate to the trunk-mount style to shift sommore weight aft.
def check out that build thread tho, super clean AAN install using all factory items.
AAN stuff starts bottom of page 4, had a 10vt in the beginning...

#23 ·
elaw said:
Yup, that's half the problem. Other half is the splines on the 7A clutch disc don't match the 016 tranny. Spline count and shaft diameter are both different, so there's no way I can think of it could be creatively adapted.
So will the 3B spec clutch and flywheel work?

#25 ·
Thats what I got and I think its going to work according to a few people I talked to . So my mistake was that I got the 7a wheel . What I got for a clutch kit is a 3b south bend kf772-hd-ofe. So I hope that fits the 016 after grinding the center of 7a flywheel

#26 ·
Okay, I got the clutch and flywheel sorted out. The 200 Turbo used the 016 transmission as is on the 4000Q (I should have known that). So I ordered the Stage 3 3B clutch with the 016 Aluminum flywheel from 034. Apparently all I5 motors have the same 8 bolt flywheel connection.

Haven't even started shitting and getting and already messing up. Thanks Brothalamammoths.

Here is the info in case anybody gets in the same situation of ignorance that my dumbass did.

034 Spec Clutch Kit-Stage 3 Audi 200 - Part# SA023 - http://store.034motorsport.com/sa023-audi-200-88-91-2-2-2-3l-stage-3.html
034 Flywheel: Audi 016 transmission - Part# 362 - http://store.034motorsport.com/flywheel-audi-016-transmission-20925.html

This thread is in dire need of pics so here is a pic with the wheels (BLADES) I bought this car with. Old school Black 14" BBS for the gangster effect. PM me if you want them, make an offer...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.