Automobiles Forum banner

10vt into my 80q(the Bandit)

162K views 1K replies 70 participants last post by  DE80q 
#1 ·
Well here goes nothing. I have a 91 80q that I am looking at doing a 10vt swap into. I already found the doner, its a 5kq avant w/ MC1 turbo already chiped to 14psi (or so I was told) . I know Im going to need the engine, ecu, and wiring but not sure of what eles. Also other than needing to fab a down pipe and intercooler piping, is there any other fab work or mods I will have to do to the car its self? Ive been working on cars for a long time but this will be my first audi swap. I was told by people on other boards to ask the guys here at motorgeek because there were plenty of guys who knew this swap well. Any info and advice you guys can offer would be great. Thanks in advance :thanks:

plans for the winter
MC1 turbo swap
Rebuilt 01A
res. delete w/ stebro rear exhaust
5 lug swap
Delrin CA bushings F&R
Alum subframe bushings F&R
g60 up front
B&G s2 springs
& what ever eles pops up :)

See less See more
#1,152 ·
Thanks guys! It's been a long day today, and we aren't even 1/4 done. Moving my mom's and my families stuff is not easy. Tomorrow I'm moving my stuff out of my storage unit. That should be fun...

#1,153 ·
DE80q said:
sayoda said:
The new exhaust looks great!!!
Thanks! I am very pleased with the work that Tim did! It has a great sound, and it wont drive you nuts on the highway.
perfect combo!!

but i will second the fact that the vids do sound good but def dont do it justice

heres to a soundoff at carlisle

#1,156 ·
elaw said:
Is that a Canadian car? I thought the first year for the B3 in the USA was 1988.
Your probably right. It's been a very long day, and I don't have the title in hand yet.

#1,157 ·
The desicion has been made to part out the "new" 80q. I was told it has H&R springs and 2 piece suspension. I also know it has clear corners and my old(came from George's 80q) stebro rear mufer. I'll post up a part out thread soon. Just way to many things have been hacked for me to attempt to save it.

#1,158 ·
The bandit has found it's new home!

Only issue I had getting it there was when I stopped for gas. When I started it back up, the ISV decided it didn't want to work correcty... This has been a common issue for me though. Still need to figure it out.

#1,159 ·
With carlsile fast approaching I figured it was time to get the bandit ready. First I swapped the snows out for the summer wheels, then put it up to check out under the car. Only had one pair of stands here at the new house, so dad old school wheel stands got put to work!

Turns out my steering rack, the shift selector shaft seal, and the rear diff is leaking... I'll have to deal with these at a later date...

Looking at the parts car, it has a DS knee cubby, so I decided to put it in, I was pretty surprised about having to remove the brackets for the later style to be able to fit it in... Kind of a PITA with the dash installed, but I got them out.

The cubby already had a switch drilled into it from the he previous ower's mood lighting, so I decided it would be a good switch for the launch control activation! When I pulled back the insulation, the wires that had been soldered to the switch had broken off, so I took it to work and soldered on some 20g wire.

After fighting with the wiring I had tucked away, I was able to get the cubby bolted in. I'll have to pull it out later and reorganize the wiring, but this will work for now.

I'm going to attempt to try the launch control today... Hopefully I don't have any cops knocking on my door later

#1,160 ·
Well, I got it to work... It's actually making too much boost though. I think I'm going to have to put the factory spring back in and retune the boost control to bring the launch boost down. Having a 1.8bar spring limits that...

Quick vid of the first real attempt...

#1,164 ·
Sorry guys, haven't been receiving notifications.

Thanks guys! It's working pretty well, but I need to do a lot more tuning.

Audi4kq, what is the "nevermind" about?

#1,166 ·
audi4kq said:
I asked if you were still running CIS still with that launch control, but then realized you were on MS. Keep up the good work, it looks like a fun build!
It's been a lot of blood sweat and tears on this build. Not only from myself fortunately for me. Lots of help along the way from a lot of much more knowledgeable people than myself.

As for the launch control, I looked over the settings Corey H. has for his 5000 at Carlisle. Most of it looked very similar, but his is set for 55° retarded at launch where as mine is 30° retarded. His settings were setup by Mark(I believe) so I think I'm going to give that a shot. Maybe I'll be able to blow flames like most people expect it to do. Hopefully I'll be able to get the boost down to a reasonable pressure as well.

#1,167 ·
As of lately I have been fighting to figure out a strange clicking in the front suspension. First I thought it was the el'cheapo strut mounts I threw in, but putting in the new mounts only made my steering wheel off center. Pretty much went over everything I could think of to no avail...

Monday I figured it out and fixed it. Turns out the damn nut had backed off on the strut housing allowing the strut to move! I used a massive pair of channel locks, and turned it nearly 2 full turns! Now I can drive this thing without worrying about the RF wheel falling off! Yay!

#1,168 ·
Went with a friend of mine to a car show on Saturday evening. Had a lot of really nice cars and bikes there. On the other hand, it really wasn't my scene. Most cars were modded out to look pretty, make lots of noise, or light up brighter than the sun...

One thing I didn't know, was they were taking pics of every car as they entered... So attached is the one they too of mine. Could be worse all things considered.

Attachments

#1,169 ·
I did it again... I have another turbo on the way. This time I will be putting it in! Anyways, it was listed as a Porsche upgrade, but the seller wasn't interested in giving any details. The only thing in the description was "excellent condition". It has obviously been heats cycled many times, as the turbine houseing appears "peeled". That's ok though, I'll get it cleaned up and checked out. I can't find much in the brand though, ITS comes up as a turbo rebuilder in the UK. Anyone have any idea? I'm thinking To4 based.

#1,170 ·
Ever since they did the damn update, I'm not getting any notifications, and none of my linked pictures work! What the hell is going on!

#1,172 ·
Well, I'm killing this K24 at 20psi, so who knows.

As for the pics, it must be my phone...

#1,173 ·
I decided to take some comparison pics of a K26 Vs the new turbo. The exhaust housing is an Audi K26 #6 housing, and I think the compressor housing is from a Porsche K26/6.

Attachments

#1,174 ·
Well, I can finally let this one out the bag. About a month ago, I had a lengthy discussion with Tim about making a higher flowing, factory placement manifold. Over the past couple weeks, I've been getting some pretty neat pictures of his progress. It almost done now, just one last tube to make for the wastegate. Figure at this point, I can start sharing some of these pics. Tell me what you guys think.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.