Automobiles Forum banner

The 1984 4000 Quattro daily driver.

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  inarisilber 
#1 ·
This is already a few years in but I'm going to start from the beginning. I guess this will be a place I can document the Audi as she progresses.

I've been in a 4000 since I was born. Brought home from the hospital in a 1981 4E which ended up being my first car. That one sadly rusted away after I graduated college and, while running, was just too far gone. The search then began for a replacement and I found this super clean example in Ohio. I was living in Maryland at the time and after borrowing a neighbor's trailer and a long day it was mine for $2000.

The Craigslist ad:

Previous owner pics from the ad.

See less See more
#3 ·
What's the first thing you do after getting a car? I cleaned it up, vacuumed and found about $8 in change under the seats. Did an oil change and then wanted to make the outside pretty. I tried some of this Sonax trim restorer. It works well! At first. It does wear off after a few weeks so I never bought it again.

#6 ·
Spooky Quattro said:
Beautiful car man, the 4000s look so good in red. What are your plans for it?
I use it nearly daily, so it splits duty with the Vanagon. So I'd like to keep it true to it's original form while doing changes and upgrades that make sense to me.

I had big plans to swap in the green interior and repaint it Inarisilber to replicate the 81 4k that didn't make it. That's still an option, I have everything, but this one is in really good shape as it is. And while I don't love the tornado red, it's good enough. Don't really have the coin to back such an ambitious project either and would rather put the money towards an engine swap on the Vanagon to be honest.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Looking back at the pictures my next project was to get the doors to close flush.

New striker pins fixed this issue, don't have any after pictures. But I did have my inspector come and make sure it is up to code.

#8 ·
Took some pictures pointing out some things that need to be addressed in the future.

Would be nice if a replacement was available for all these cardboard radiator shrouds.

I ended up removing these stone guards with a heat gun, future post when I find those pics.

Turn signal cracked and the blinker fluid leaked into the fog lights. These are chinese junk units anyway and were quickly removed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.