Automobiles Forum banner

Project: my first 20v

22K views 123 replies 14 participants last post by  DE80q 
#1 ·
A couple weeks ago, I got a PM, it was a semi local enthusiast with an offer I couldn't pass up. The plan for this vehicle will be an OEM rebuild with some euro flair.

So here is what I picked up. A 1991 Coupe Quattro, black on black.

The front bumper has been tucked, and it's on a pretty nice period correct set of borbet 16" wheels. Paint is in descent shape, but needs a good cleaning before I decide what the next steps are there.

Now, for the not so good. The engine is shot. The head was taken a machine shop and scrapped due to extreme cracking. I thought that was a 20vt issue, not so much the 20v in general. Both window regulators are bad, and the PS window is open about 1/2". The interior was mostly removed to attempt to save it. The tail lights leak, so there was also water in the trunk area. This lead to the most distressing issue. In 2 ares, the trunk is rotted through. The good news is it's in an area that should be relatively easy to repair, time will tell though.

It did come with a good selection of parts, so I'll be having fun going through those soon.

First, I need to get the garage ready for it's new tenant...

That will be a task in itself :frustrated:

See less See more
#102 ·
I may have the greatest neighbors ever! We are very much alike, and have no problem helping each other out when needed. He made this for me in his sign shop as a thank you!

#103 ·
So I have a question for you guys. On Sat. I'm going to pick up a fairly "rare" rear muffler for this car. I personally have only seen a few of them in the states, so that's why I say "rare". I can't find a new pipe from cat to axel, so I have to use the original. That pipe doesn't seem in completely terrible condition, but the muffler is rotted out. The question is, should I just weld a pipe in, or should I pick up a resonator of some sort to weld in?

I have done the straight pipe on a 10v, and it wasn't bad at all with no cat, and a stebro rear box. I know these 20v engines can be kind of pitchy at higher RPM, so not sure how well this recipe would work. This car will have a cat though, so that will probably change how this works as well. Any suggestions?

#104 ·
Well here's a goofy idea... take some measurements and decide what resonator you would put in there.

Cut out the muffler, leaving the pipe with the correct dimensions to install that resonator. But instead splice a length of pipe in there, secured with band clamps (because they don't deform the pipe).

Then if you like the sound leave it that way, otherwise remove the length of pipe and install a muffler.

#105 ·
On my 20v quattro sport in the UK I removed the rear box and had the front flex/small box section off a Subaru fitted to replace that with scorpion twin exit pipes, it was still quiet as hell and with the huge cone filter I had fitted you could hear that more than the exhaust. I never got around to removing the center section.

The white 20v cq I just sold had a full stainless on the car, I think that's going to end up being a parts car. I don't know if the new cq I just bought has a stainless on or just stock?

#106 ·
So here is what I spent the last 5 hours on the road to go and get!

I picked it up for dirt cheap! Oh, and it's never been used! Look at the inside of those tips!

The story I got, was a friend of his was cleaning out a warehouse and found it. Gave it to him to possibley modify to fit on his Acura! It has been sitting in his basement for over a year, and posted it on letgo over a month ago. He didn't respond the first time I sent him a message almost a month ago, but did the other day. I'm excited now! This was the kind of find I needed to hopefully motivate me!

#109 ·
I figured it was well worth what I paid for it in considering the "value" increase on the car haha.

#111 ·
I checked out the site. Most exhaust parts are listed as "out of stock". I would love to get the matching mid pipe.

#113 ·
That would be awesome, but out of the budget right now. I can only imagine what shipping alone would cost.

#116 ·
Well gentlemen... I think I'm done with this project... I have no motivation to work on it, and haven't for months... For those that have been watching, if you are interested in it, shoot me a PM. I WILL NOT sell any of the parts I have amassed for this car, unless the shell sells without them.

#119 ·
Varia, I'll get there. Haven't really even opened my garage in a while. The car is currently on stand with the front subframe ready to go back on.

Pete, I don't really have a price in mind. As the old saying goes, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

#121 ·
Well, with a few almost insulting offers, I've decided to just push on putting the car back together. Over the past couple weeks(slow times at work), I've dismantled, cleaned, painted, and rebooted the front CV shafts.

The joints felt good, so I just cleaned them out, and repacked them. Next will be the front strut housings.

#123 ·
I think I'm going to try some electrolosys on the strut housing and see how that works out. They looks pretty nasty now, but that could be just rust scale on them.

#124 ·
Well, thanks to a lot of factors, I've decided to move this project to a other owner. I believe his plan is to AAN it, so that will be fun.

I'll be putting parts up for sale soon. There are a bunch of parts I picked up for this, that he doesn't want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.