Automobiles Forum banner

10VT 5 cyl. What exactly might this engine be?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Deiviss 
#1 ·

Going to be picking this up this week, need to know what exactly it is and what the value may be?

Info i have been told,

Build years ago never ran.
Build to hold 600+HP ( cant confirm until i buy and i have no idea on 10vt stuff)
Built by Audi Tech

Any ideas on exactly i might be getting? MC1? Whats the aprox value as im buying to sell and fund my 20VT coupe.

See less See more
#2 ·
So... I wish I had more details. Without knowing the specs of the internals, it's almost impossible to put a real value on. Would need to know specs on pretty much everything! Crank, cam, pistons, rods, head, hardware, and even how long has it been sitting...

If it was build years ago, and has been sitting, it should probably be torn back down to clean everything back up again before first run.

#4 ·
DE80q said:
So... I wish I had more details. Without knowing the specs of the internals, it's almost impossible to put a real value on. Would need to know specs on pretty much everything! Crank, cam, pistons, rods, head, hardware, and even how long has it been sitting...

If it was build years ago, and has been sitting, it should probably be torn back down to clean everything back up again before first run.
I wish i knew more as well. Unfortunately the current owner is a chevy guy with 0 knowledge of Audi engines. He has no idea whats all been done, and only knows exactly what i said. Its a gamble but i have the opportunity to get it quite cheap.

Someone mentioned to me that the dual oil filter housing may be quite rare, any possible truth to this?

#5 ·
Well, I can say I've never seen one of those...

I hope you are getting it VERY cheap. We 10v people are know to be... ummm... frugal.... Haha. If you can figure out that it has some good parts in it, it may be worth something though.

#6 ·
DE80q said:
Well, I can say I've never seen one of those...

I hope you are getting it VERY cheap. We 10v people are know to be... ummm... frugal.... Haha. If you can figure out that it has some good parts in it, it may be worth something though.
Is $250 cheap enough? Lol

#7 ·
Is that US$ or candain$ lol. I think thats pretty good for an unknown supposedly built engine

#8 ·
Price is Cad. Confirmed the engine is NOT built just rebuild with stock parts. Its super clean though.

#10 ·
ejfluhr said:
I would have presumed Urquattro WX before 5000 KH. If so, possibly worth a little more to Urquattro owners trying to stay vintage & model-correct. I'm keeping my WX on an engine stand in my garage for as long as I own my AAN-upgraded Urq.

Cheers, Eric
That was what in was tbinking but the engine has no history. I have pictures of the internals now and its a stock rebuild. Nice rebuild but still stock. I was hoping it was some kind of rare gem.

#11 ·
KH would be more abundant and would have the dual oil filter housing as well. Why not just ask for a picture of the serial number? Driver side near the deck between #2 and #3 cylinders. I can see the area, but cannot tell if it has the proper stampings. It would be WX xxxxxx or KH xxxxxx, where the letters are the engine code and the x's are the serial numbers.

#13 ·
I was sort of thinking the same thing. If they painted the bearing surfaces, that would be a disaster*. Also its value depends somewhat on the condition of the turbo.

* Unless it's never been turned over and you take it apart and remove all the paint before trying to run it.

#14 ·
The engine wound up being a WX 10vt. I picked it for 250cad delivered. The Cam does apear to be painted, unless Audi used some blue coating on the cam back in the 80s.

The engine has not been ran, buddy plans to pop the head and inspect further before he uses it.

The turbo does not apear to be in useable condition. Lots of shaft play.

I picked it up for a friend whos going to do a 10vt swap in a 944.