motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Audi 4KQ small project...

Post subject: Re: Audi 4KQ small project...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:31 pm 
Redline?

It could easily fit the stock condensor, and another pusher fan too

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:13 am 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

4kq looks great!!!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:23 pm 
Redline?

sayoda wrote:
4kq looks great!!!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:00 am 
Redline?

figured out 1 of my issues. The car would crank, and then the starter would stop, like the timing is too advanced on an old v8, then start turning again. eventually the car would blurble a bit and start. so i replaced the starter with the urs4 starter. and now it hits every key. Success. now im just gettting an intermittent 2111 code, guessing because the sensor got beat up. so i will swap it to the one i took out of G4 location just to see if it by chance goes away.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:26 pm 
Stuck in first

I assume you're reading the codes with engine running? You'll get a false 2111 if it's not

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:15 am 
Redline?

ya it was running. i swapped it with the one i replaced in G4 and the code hasnt returned. i had a strange ISV happening tho. started it to leave work yesterday and the idle was surging to about 2200 then down back and forth. tried finding a vac leak, did see or hear anything. so i took some needle nose and pinched the line going into the isv. idle stabalized. so i tapped the isv with the pliers and it settled down. Time to take it off and try to clean it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:44 am 
Redline?

Removed the isv and actuated it with a jump box. and ran a whole can of carb cleaner through it. Checked the plug for power, has power on the red wire. i didnt check continuity to ecu yet but will if necesarry. Its now throwing any crank sensor codes anymore, just 4431 N71 ISV short or fuse blown. checked all the fuses esp the Black connector, fuse good, and plug at isv has power.

Car definately has kind of a flat spot, just as it suggests on SJM. but it seems to idle just fine. and it never stalls out. even in 90 degree heat.

Also the car seems a little odd with boost. i think my guage may be shitty, but some pulls it runs 8-9 psi, in higher gears 3-4 it gets to 11-12. feels kind of doggy like TB is a tooth off. i zeroed the timing mark through the hole in trans and verified the timing marks look good, and checked the key way on crank to be sure. The only thing is the cam pulley looks like 1/2 tooth off counter clockwise. 'i.e. to the left of the mark on valve cover. tonight im gonna pull the valve cover and verify the marks on the cam chain wheel and make sure they are parallel to the head, and line up.

on another note, got a nice new coolant bottle. was listed as 4000 but i think its for a b3 or CQ was able to mod it so all 3 screws work, and get rid of the URS4 one.

everything seems to be going really well, was 90 degrees outside yesterday and at standstill in traffic it stayed normal temps the whole time

and i mounted the boost gauge, just got a cheap pod mount from amazon. seems to work just fine. had to glue the base, as it pivoted too easy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:14 am 
Redline?

Alright, after getting some good miles on the car, and getting a faulty ISV replaced, down to the last couple of issues. The NEW one, is code 1231. Obviously the 4K doesnt has an electric speed sensor, so this wire is not connected. I cant find anything that says what this code can have for symptoms. For instance on a vw vr6, i know this code will cut the rev limiter in like 4th gear if i remember correctly.

Im having a strange surging feeling. where cruising down the highway, with my foot steady, or the cruise control on (yep it works) the car feels like im letting off and then getting back on the throttle eveeeeeeerrrr so slightly. constant on/off but its very light, almost cant feel it. code 1231 is the only code i have. and it only showed up after i fixed the 4431 code by replacing the ISV.

The only other issue i feel is im unsure of the timing etc. when you cold start most cars, the timing is more aggressive and the exhaust is louder, then as it warms it eases off and settles to a nice idle. Mine seems as if its starting as if its warm, no change to idle (750-800 RPM) some times its boggy the first few time i get on the gas then it smoothes out fine. Idle vacuum on aftermarket guage shows about 11-12HG vacuum. verified with another vac tester as well. Cant find any boost leaks. and isolated the brake booster etc just to be sure. on the AM boost guage im only hitting sometimes 8 psi, other times ive seen it as high as 12. its quick but definately feels reserved.

Also verified the timing marks, in belhousing crank and VC. Made sure keyway had not stripped. I know code 1231 will not allow the AC clutch to disengage at WOT but i am not equipped. Trying to find a way to either fake the signal to it, or give it the signal it needs. as i dont think the signal from cruise is correct. Lemme know if anyone has any ideas and i will continue the hunt.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:56 am 
Redline?

Found a DIY where a clever chap added a wire inside the cruise control module that gives the correct speed signal to the ECU. So i did that and cured all the CEL issues. Now its off! Still looking for my missing 8psi of boost. Ive read some posts that say the idle VAC should be 19-21hg at idle, and other posts that say 12 during warmup and 14-15.

My idle vac is 12-14 and i cant seem to locate any boost leaks. Tried a couple different N75 just for kicks. wastegate holds vacuum.

While i hunt down the last of the issues, im sure glad my AWD dream team are both on the road at the same time. Love these bastards.

Been working on fitment with the wheels as well. using human ballast to set ride height lol.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:03 am 
Redline?

Got the remaining 1552's on order, and i added a cheap forge bleed off boost controller. got all my boost now, and wow, this is now an extremely fun car. I also found that my throttle cable was "funny" I am using the stock 4k cable, with the extra looped over the cam again. For giggles i took a prybar and wedged the pedal to the floor. Then with hand i could still turn the throttle about 1/3 more :/ Instead of looping it back over i just put a new crimp and cut the excess off. i also took the forge boost controller off to see if the boost came back, and it did not.

So i added back the boost valve and the boost is now kickin at 15-16psi. Now we getting somewhere. Car feels Great. Finally quicker than the Typhoon!

Hard to believe it all started here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:48 am 
Redline?

My remaining turbomac order was cancelled due to no stock. so i tried many other outlets, and they all ship vender direct. I chatted with 1552 and they said they will either have some late this year or may not make that size/fitment again. so i changed up and got the Integrale, and i think i like them just as much.

The fitment is quite nice, i went with pretty small tires to get the look i wanted without the 17s looking too big for the car.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:47 pm 
I post, therefore I am

That looks killer...

'90 CQ 32v
'90 CQ 0v

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information