Automobiles Forum banner

the dreaded CQ windshield dilemma

6K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  SeattleQuattro 
#1 ·
well it finally happened, the delamination of the windshield on my cq progressed to the point that when moisture got in between the glass and urethane then froze overnight cracking the glass badly, now im on the hunt. i understand the situation us cq owners are as far as windshields are concerned, and as of now my car is no longer street legal due to the crack in front of the drivers view, do we have any options left?

#2 ·
Anton C. was looking into this about a year or so ago.

Best I can offer is be on the look out for Cq as well as Cabrio glass. I'd call a local dealership and get the proper PN (see if the dealer network has any by miracle) and use that at local glass shops.

#10 ·
I got this when I tried safelite, at 480 dollars.

Your vehicle requires a part that has limited availability
We can secure an appointment for you today, but Safelite may call to reschedule if additional time is required or if the cost to acquire the part is higher than what we previously estimated.

Greg W.

#14 ·
PRY4SNO said:
jonas-k said:
Maybe if we all call Safelite to ask for a new windshield, they might import some from Europe based on perceived demand.
That's brilliant.

We would want to stagger the calls too, so it didn't seem coordinated.
Agree.
I filled out the online request, then saved my quote/appointment right at the point when I pick a date/time. Now I'm getting emails reminding me how easy it is for Safelite to come fix my windshield, and for a $15-off coupon, so I'm definitely in their system. :D

#16 ·
For anyone looking for Cq windshields, contact Thomas Janzen on FB.

He's importing two TUV approved versions from Germany soon.

One version is lightweight and saves ~ 4.5kg, the other is as OEM.

Seeing as he's in central Canada, it might make sense to form a USA-based cadre and centralize shipping to a mutually agreed upon point then individuals pay their own final shipping from there.

#18 ·
varia said:
turbonut20V said:
varia said:
i setup an appointment for windshield replacement on a cq with safelight

I paid $512 with installation, home service.

Lets see, if they will cancel it last min :)
How did it go? (If it happened lol)
Parts and labor was $429.99
Dave (Hybrid_Hatch) will have 10 soon
I'm jealous of how cheap everything seems to be in the States.

Any word on pricing from Dave?

#22 ·
The local Audi dealer thought I was delusional, but there it was in his receiving area: A stock CQ windshield I ordered on line through the dealer's website. Yea, it cost real $$$ though. One of the many stupid things I did to that lovely CQ I sold for a song and saw immediately sold on BAT for 12 Grand.

#25 ·
So would people pay for quality windscreens?

Brand new Pilkington windscreens direct from the UK imported into America on the west coast for $1000 each for coupe quattros.

Ur quattro windscreens are also available brand new.

This is not me importing them but I know who is. They are better quality than the remanufactured ones with heater elements in that have been advertised.

#26 ·
I brought in a pallet of coupe quattro windshields during the pandemic. Contact Justin Davis on Facebook to purchase.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.