motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 596 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Dean's "Project: Mayhem" - Coupe Quattro 20Vt

Post subject: Dean's "Project: Mayhem" - Coupe Quattro 20Vt
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:36 am 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

Progress...
Removed the coolant return freeze plug and replaced it with the one I had TOG welded the -6AN male onto. What a b1tch, apparently I had installed it pretty damn good originally when building the motor.

Revised the turbo hardline for the oil supply and wastegate vacuum hardline.

Made up an AN turbo oil drain line and coolant return line to progress on the plumbing. Next up is an -4AN hose/flex section for the oil supply and a shorty -6AN hose/flex section for the coolant supply (hidden under the exhaust manifold).
Also had an aluminum plate cut in the plasma table to blank off the hole in the block for an original turbo oil drain since My return is out of the way of charge tubing and returns to the oil pan wing. Ask your buddy to cut one, get three.

90' CQ - "Project: Mayhem" / 00' Jetta TDI - "Peach" / 09' Tacoma DCSB - "Fish Taco" / & All Those Loved and Passed On

Last edited by dean16v on Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Dean's
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:25 am 
I post, therefore I am

hard lines makes the install so clean.... well done!

Post subject: Re: Dean's "Project: Mayhem" - Coupe Quattro 20Vt
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:33 am 

varia wrote:
hard lines makes the install so clean.... well done!

Thank you.
It certainly does. Going for a little something between Factory, Sport Quattro, and fancy.

90' CQ - "Project: Mayhem" / 00' Jetta TDI - "Peach" / 09' Tacoma DCSB - "Fish Taco" / & All Those Loved and Passed On

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:11 am 
I post, therefore I am

Im sure i will do it with my next build.
It gives a super clean look.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:26 am 

Plugged away a bit more at things this weekend which, as expected, included re-making/re-routing some hardline and going backwards, pulling the rad support off.

I wasn’t happy with the fuel pressure regulator supply line leading through the hard brake line (interference when motor moves about), so tackled that one first. Following that I made the vacuum hardline to the FPR from the intake manifold, nearly through the other lines, and to the regulator (needs finalization and flaring yet).
I then removed the radiator support and associated equipment to pull the timing cover and address the coolant supply to the turbo and vacuum line to the diverter valve that sit behind the timing belt. The coolant line had a stainless male flare TIG’d on. And it all took a bit of figuring, but I finished last night rather satisfied with the way it worked and looks.
The AN coolant return line was shortened a whisker, but before I can install this the exhaust manifold studs will need to be clearanced, as it’s a bitch to get the banjo up in there, let alone get it tight. May safety wire the exhaust manifold nuts too.

Turbo side hardline for the oil was re-made, shortened, and fit as well. I found that without running it forward of the coolant and shortening it, that I would have literally no room for the flexible AN line to the oil filter housing where it gets its supply. I used -3AN straight and 45* elbow fittings to discover that it just wasn’t going to work. This will allow some, not much, some space to have a flex line and I ordered some -3AN 30* elbow fittings to make this line up next. Also measured, using surgical tubing for a template (slides on fitting with nut on) for the flex line I’ll make for the coolant supply that will sit under the exhaust manifold in a heat jacket.
Lastly I jacked the car up and set it on my new and fancy RaceRamp stands (pricey, but light, stackable, and you can do suspension work with chassis “loaded”) so that it’s a bit easier to get at things underneath and being as I need to make the front halves of the fuel hard lines (tank to frame rail, and yes I’m re-making them).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:17 am 

I’ve been clicking away on the plumbing so I can get all this behind me. All the plumbing will soon enough be done with the exception of a catch can/crank and valve cover breather system.
I have made up the flex sections in -6AN for the oil and coolant to the turbo, have a nice little retainer on the diverter valve hard line, and the timing belt and cover are all back together. The lines (oil supply not made or pictured) sit nicely hidden under the exhaust manifold and were made a few times and test fit each time.
Once the -6AN lines were made up and finalized I put them in black coated heat sleeping to protect them and that makes the stainless line nearly invisible.
My plan for a straight and 45* fittings for the oil supply to the turbo did not look right, leaving nearly no length for any hose and the routing was funky. This said, I ordered and just received two 30* fittings, these when installed look like they’ll work mint! Hopefully I can get this made up and installed within the next day or so.
Another bit I started to whip up was a section of 1-1/2” hard pipe for the coolant leading from the thermostat to the radiator. The combination of eliminating the auxiliary radiator and the serpentine belt system (moves alternator up and right in the way), I could have used silicone hose and pipe and hose, but to refine it... I am using an AAN hard pipe and 1-1/2” mild steel pipe to neaten it up. I may also swap the fan switch and hose barb fitting front to rear and vise versa to eliminate going from the rear of the radiator, under, and back across the front.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:33 am 

In continuing with plumbing work, I have sleeved the turbo supply and return lines in heat sleeving (knowing how the rubber section of the coolant return dies out with the heat under the manifold). And started making a hard pipe for the lower radiator fitting since I opted out of an auxiliary radiator and don’t want nineteen silicone hoses all strewn about. This also required a radiator mod, so I swapped the fan switch bung and coolant barb end front to rear and vise versa.
I also was having difficulty with the oil drain fitting on the turbo for several reasons, one, there was BARELY any shoulder for the gasket, didn’t want a blow out, and wanted a 100% seal, two, flange was different shape, and three, when the 45* fitting was threaded in, it was nearly impossible to get the bolts tightened even with every imaginable Allen specialty tool.
So, to make it right I got in there with a piece of paper and my dirty/greasy fingers, “traced” the flange, made a CAD template (cardboard aided design, transferred in onto a piece of 1/2” thick 6061 aluminum plate, and cut it out on the band saw before finishing the edges on the belt sander. But here’s where it gets trick... to make sure I have a sweet seal and no paper gasket blowout, I made it o-ring! No fancy fabrication really, just pilot drilled all my holes prior to cutting out the flange on the saw, and in the center, used a hole saw to make a recess for an o-ring before drilling the drain hole to its 1/2” diameter. I then turned down an AN fitting so it was long and narrow, and TIG welded it to the flange. Once that was done, I lucked out and only had to replace the straight AN fitting with a longer sweep 45* bend hose end, didn’t even have to cut and remake the hose! Praise the lord!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:59 am 

I also mailed out the compressor housing to NBP Refinish (http://www.nicksblastingandpolishing.com) on Staten Island, NY and received this picture a few minutes ago... man, can this boy polish! If you need anything polished, refinished, chromed, or more, this is the guy

Last edited by dean16v on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:53 pm 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

Exceptional detail as usual. Keep it coming.

Law 42 • Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:45 am 

More on the plumbing, swapped the sides on the lower coolant hose and that of the fan switch, so there’s no silicone rubber hoses all over. Had hoped to make a smooth flowing steel pipe from the thermostat to the lower radiator using the AAN hard pipe and a little steel pipe, but came up short on bends so used all of the coolant pipe and improvised where I needed additional bends. Now after the final test fit and verification it fits with clearance for engine movement and vibration, I’ll TIG weld it, test for leaks, then it’ll get the black powder coat treatment. All details few will see.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:42 am 
I post, therefore I am

very interesting! looking forward to see the end result!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:09 am 

Alright alright, doesn’t feel like there has been much progress, but there’s definitely been a change in direction for this plumbing for sure.

I have been building this car for me, all of your eyes following along, but with building it for myself I haven’t allowed for much of anyone’s opinion to effect it, but four people, four friends have talked me into things... Yarrow of Yarrowsport with his show requirements to be selected for the top of the Primer Show class and his comment of “I thought you were going to shave it”, Dieseltech Chris with his “the taillight hole would be a good spot for the battery switch”, Action Jackson telling me I had enough BBS Motorsport wheel parts to build a spare wheel/tire, and now Swoops with the “that pipe is ugly and why don’t you just AN everything?”. So yeah... pipe out the window.

But this isn’t just the thermostat housing I’ve decided to make an AN setup for, it’s not a snowball, but an avalanche! The lower fitting on the radiator was swapped back to the front from the rear, but while I was at it, ordered weld-on AN male fittings and added them to the front lower and rear upper of the radiator. There was thermostat housings would fit or work the way I wanted, so Swoops offered to make me one (was his idea anyways so why not?), so I figured out where I wanted it to come from ordered a weld on AN fitting and put him to work. Thermostat housing is off getting powder coated black and upon its return a -14AN house will be made up to match the others using a straight out of the thermostat and a 90 degree out of the radiator. And as you can see the fittings are HUGE so clearance was a major consideration and required me to reroute and remake the air conditioning hardline on the front of the radiator/ac condenser leading it up rather than below.

And that’s only part of the story, haha. When Swoops said “AN everything” the gears got turning knowing that he likes things simple, effective, and using few fittings as possible, and that got me to re-do the power steering. And yes, pressure was a big consideration, but I’ll be commissioning the custom houses from my supplier Fragola USA, as they make, crimp, and pressure test power steering specific houses IN HOUSE. Banjo to AN adapters were ordered, oven cleaner’d to strip them of blue anodizing (I wanted black but that was impossible), ordered twice due to pump clearance, and the power steering pump was now ready to accept AN. Next was the rack side and anyone that’s had to change a house while it’s in a complete car knows how much of a pain in the ass it is and my rack side adapter, making the hose ends accessible, will make perfect sense. So yes, I took the worst of my spare power steering hoses, band sawed off the steel ends, and made male AN fittings turning down a male/male nipple in the lathe, got a tight-ish (presses in) fit, TIG welded them on, then had them yellow zinc coated (the factory goodness) from my friend Phil at Mid-Hudson Platers in Poughkeepsie NY (if you ever want to silver zinc, yellow zinc, nickel, or any of that coat nuts, bolts, fittings or the like for a restoration, this is the place and he does mail order!).

I also couldn’t resist having a custom billet brake reservoir made having seen those done for Volkswagens by SwoopsBUILT, so commissioned one of those while I was at it. Now all of you interested can get one by contacting [email protected] because he has a jig and template.

Picture to follow its return from NBP Refinish where it’s being polished to match the turbo compressor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:05 am 

Great work as aways...

That said, I would second and third guess any "shaving" of the engine compartment on an Audi.
Makes access and maintenance something you really need to plan for first.

My mechanic had to do alot of "unshaving" of a 3b converted Coupe for my nephew to make it reliable and maintainable.

1991 Coupe Q Silver/Black (perpetual eS2 project)
1991 Coupe Q Silver/Platinum
1991 Coupe Q Pearl/Black Shell

http://www.naaclub.org

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:28 am 

audiPete wrote:
Great work as aways...

That said, I would second and third guess any "shaving" of the engine compartment on an Audi.
Makes access and maintenance something you really need to plan for first.

My mechanic had to do alot of "unshaving" of a 3b converted Coupe for my nephew to make it reliable and maintainable.

All of mine is well, well thought out. Trust me

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:32 pm 

Awesome work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:00 pm 

Shiny things!

Hope this is a better update than those of Corona/COVID-19 that is certainly getting stuffed down our throats!

My good friend Swoops of SwoopsBUILT.com offered to help, so yup, jumped on it and commissioned him to make a few things including this aluminum brake reservoir and an aluminum power steering reservoir. And yes, couldn’t leave well enough alone so had Nick of NBP Refinishing add some of his shine witchcraft, another dangerous rabbit hole.

And though I’m an essential employee, like actually essential, at a power plant, people staying in makes it easier for me to take time for me and time to get into the garage. Not much progress, but progress.

I quickly bolted up my bumper adapter brackets for front S2 bumper from cool wheels after having them powder coated (they came raw steel) to get them off of the mess of a workbench. I also got to the daunting task of finishing my stainless steel hard fuel lines or rather remaking the forward sections so that the line would be two pieces rather than three and cut down on leak potential, mind you this is all because I one, wanted lifetime stainless and two, it’s impossible to make one piece CUSTOM lines from coil. So this included putting down heat shields, removing the lines I made (I’ll sell them with adapters to tie them into the existing coupe lines if anyone wants nice pieces), making an anchor plate for the ends to mount in the bay, and starting to layout and make the darn things.

I want things to lay out, look, and be a certain way and with plans to run a custom air box up on the firewall rather than just a cone filter on the inner fender, I would need them lower and tucked forward for the aforementioned airbox.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:30 pm 

Oh, are you imitating the Sport quattro airbox? That will be interesting to see develop.

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
|| 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4 #bertancummins
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// #becauseracecar

|| Spare parts for sale

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:35 pm 

PRY4SNO wrote:
Oh, are you imitating the Sport quattro airbox? That will be interesting to see develop.
Yes, similar and in carbon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:34 pm 

Keep the photos coming.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:34 am 

PRY4SNO wrote:
Starting to make molds this week actually

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:11 am 

Well along with polishing things up I said “what the hell” and went ahead polishing two throttle bodies (the non-ported one is for sale if anyone is interested) as well as, a custom aluminum power steering reservoir. Image

I’m also being me and caring too much about details and so, since I had to pull it off to drill and tap it for fittings anyways, removed the intake manifold. This gave me plenty of room to install the modified 3B water manifold that I added a male AN fitting to and then make the main supply and return coolant hoses. This will also give me an opportunity to measure, design, and make AN hydraulic hoses for the power steering.Image

As previously mentioned I drilled and tapped the intake manifold. My RS2 manifold was obviously purchased used, flew across the pond, and the brass, press fit vacuum hose fittings were broken off. I found there to be enough room, so I drilled them out, and tapped them to 1/8” NPT to accept two vacuum connections, one for the fuel pressure regulator signal (90 degree -3AN to get a flared fitting) and the other a male barb to be the ECU pressure signal. All I can say is patience and NERVE RACKING, but done.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 596 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information