Automobiles Forum banner

JBD's Project CQ - She's Alive!

108K views 442 replies 59 participants last post by  jbrentd 
#1 ·
Well, after a couple of years of mostly lurking here on MG, I thought I would introduce myself now that I have a project to add to the site. I have owned two Audis prior to this one (a '96 A4 12v and my current daily driver which is an '01 A4 Avant).

CQs are hard to come by locally here in Oklahoma. So, the wife and I went to Chicago last weekend and we met up with the previous owner of this '91 CQ. It's rough, needs lots of work, but it was cheap. My plan, in time, is to fix it up and do a 20vt swap, but it won't happen overnight that's for sure. I'll be moving slow as time, space and money permit. Now, on with the pics.

While on the way home, it hit a milestone.

See less See more
#339 ·
Streetscapetv said:
How was applying the Por15? I'm about to do the same, I lifted the insulation of my coupes floor and also found some surface rust, so I need to go and remove all the old sound deadening and spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not bad. The time consuming parts are in the prep (i.e. clearing the surface, degrease, metal prep, and letting it dry out completely). I applied 3 coats to the driver side and 2 coats to the passenger side. Make sure your area is well ventilated and use a respirator.

#346 ·
I see a lot of people have routed their 3B harness through the hole for the AC lines due to how the 3B harness is built. I intend to keep AC and am considering cutting a new hole in the firewall somewhere on the passenger side (with a firewall grommet). I'd rather do this then have a bunch of wires that are either too long or too short. Plus, the driver's side area under the dash doesn't need any more wiring than it already has. Any thoughts on that?

#347 ·
jbrentd said:
I see a lot of people have routed their 3B harness through the hole for the AC lines due to how the 3B harness is built. I intend to keep AC and am considering cutting a new hole in the firewall somewhere on the passenger side (with a firewall grommet). I'd rather do this then have a bunch of wires that are either too long or too short. Plus, the driver's side area under the dash doesn't need any more wiring than it already has. Any thoughts on that?
This is what I'm doing but with an AAN harness. I cut a hole to the left of the A/C hole, I'll shoot you a pic on IG, it seems like it'll work out pretty nicely.

#348 ·
vt10vt said:
jbrentd said:
This is what I'm doing but with an AAN harness. I cut a hole to the left of the A/C hole, I'll shoot you a pic on IG, it seems like it'll work out pretty nicely.
Much appreciated!