motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: The Tech Lounge :: Engines

07K swap and parts

Post subject: 07K swap and parts
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:29 am 
Stuck in first

Hey guys I am new on the forum. I am looking for information or options for my 07k swap into a later audi b6 chassis. My main issue is finding pistons without spending a grand and meet the spec I need in order to use the rods I purchased. I am looking for forged pistons,I would rather build the internals and never come close to the power levels I want then to build it and not have enough. So the rods are 144x22 yet I am having a hard time finding pistons that will suit my needs meaning fit a 82.5mm bore or bigger and have 22mm pin and a CR of 8.5:1 with the right dome for MPI as the 07K I sourced is from a early 2006 jetta BGP engine code with a forged crank and MPI no DI. I am curious if any other pistons will work in this engine with MPI?? Or if anyone has pistons dimensions or what the pin height needs to be with 22mm pins as the stock NA 07K had 20mm pins. I have heard of guys using 2.0T FSI pistons however the piston dish/bowl is less than ideal for MPI. Would 7A pistons work?? I believe the stroke of the 7A is less than the 07K so I am not sure how this would play into this equation or how to calculate for the correct piston height without ripping into the engine and physically measuring everything or possibly going with a vw 9A pistons from a 16v. This particular engine is going to be turbo charged with some goodies and upgrades. I attached some pictures of the engine in question as well as some pictures of parts I have started collecting. I know intake manifold,oil pan and exhaust manifold are going to be the real challenges in this swap. I will update the thread with a short list of part that are going to be used. However anyone that wants to chime in regards to piston choice and options would be great.

Attachments:
engine.jpg
engine.jpg [ 122.27 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]
engine 2.jpg
engine 2.jpg [ 101.3 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]
engine 3.jpg
engine 3.jpg [ 105.35 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]
engine 4.jpg
engine 4.jpg [ 104.57 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]
engine 5.jpg
engine 5.jpg [ 150.9 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]
brackets.jpg
brackets.jpg [ 58.45 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]
dm rods 2.jpg
dm rods 2.jpg [ 122.64 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]
intake flange.jpg
intake flange.jpg [ 78.03 KiB | Viewed 370 times ]
 Post subject: Re: 07K swap and parts
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:51 pm 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

Boost brothers garage are making a b6 sump for 07k engine.

I don't think 7a pistons would work, people swap them out in turbo 7a setups when going for decent power.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:46 pm 
I post, therefore I am

IAbed/Moroso/EFI Express have a pan available that I believe fits B5/6/7 in addition to B2/3/4. Not cheap but the only one currently available.
People will machine the FSI pistons face to better suit a port injection motor and lower the compression.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

2003 Audi S8 (DD)
Past Audis: 87 CGT, 87 4kcsq, 93 S4, 90 CQ, 87 5ktq, 95.5 S6Avant, 86 CGT CE, 95 90qs 1.8T, 83 UrQ, 87 CGT 7A
Past P-cars: 80 931, 87 924S, 87 951

Profile Facebook 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:56 pm 
Stuck in first

Pete82 wrote:

I don't think 7a pistons would work, people swap them out in turbo 7a setups when going for decent power.

Very possible. However last time I checked I believe they said their 07k b6 a4 development was stopped due to demand for other parts. Unless I am wrong. Yes currently it seems there are plenty of piston choices for DI engines and not MPI. Most are custom order at this point. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:00 pm 
Stuck in first

alxdgr8 wrote:
IAbed/Moroso/EFI Express have a pan available that I believe fits B5/6/7 in addition to B2/3/4. Not cheap but the only one currently available.
People will machine the FSI pistons face to better suit a port injection motor and lower the compression.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I have heard of this but never seen it done. However I dont think its machine forged pistons to suit unless I had no other choice. I can see doing that on some stockers but the engine is being built for alot more power than stock. The main issue I am having is I have rods with 22mm pins so finding pistons with 22mm pins is proving difficult. I am curious what ecu are you using on your porsche swap?? Also what crank sensor and so on. I recently starting planning for the standalone ecu I purchased it seems like as 07K has a hall sensor instead of the typical inductive pick like on all their older engines. So I am currently trying to figure that all out as well as make the necessary change to the wiring.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:50 am 
I boggle like it's my bidniss

Location: I see the world different thanks to my steering wheel
Pete82 wrote:

Boostbrothers is not doing anything Audi related.
They are focusing on the Porsche community. EFI Express/iABED (me) are focusing on the Audi platform.

No reason to machined FSI pistons for N/A fitment. They work fine but are not ideal due to the piston construction.
If you are doing this on the cheap then absolutely just swap in TTRS or EA888 pistons into that motor , a fresh set of rings and forged rods and go.

Build another motor on the side with forged pistons.
HTH

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: The Tech Lounge :: Engines

Jump to:  

Information