Automobiles Forum banner

JBD's Project CQ - She's Alive!

108K views 442 replies 59 participants last post by  jbrentd 
#1 ·
Well, after a couple of years of mostly lurking here on MG, I thought I would introduce myself now that I have a project to add to the site. I have owned two Audis prior to this one (a '96 A4 12v and my current daily driver which is an '01 A4 Avant).

CQs are hard to come by locally here in Oklahoma. So, the wife and I went to Chicago last weekend and we met up with the previous owner of this '91 CQ. It's rough, needs lots of work, but it was cheap. My plan, in time, is to fix it up and do a 20vt swap, but it won't happen overnight that's for sure. I'll be moving slow as time, space and money permit. Now, on with the pics.

While on the way home, it hit a milestone.

See less See more
#380 ·
jbrentd said:
There used to be a guy on the S2Forum who made carbon fiber door sills. Does anyone know if those are still an option?

Spent some time today to continue cleaning the engine bay. Gonna hit it with a fresh coat of pearl before the 3B goes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks great.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

#382 ·
Engine bay looks great!! Unfortunately I don't think anyone is making the carbon door sills anymore.

I've used these guys for Carbon fiber quite a bit - Their veneer is nice and I think that it would work very well for sills (this is what I will likely do if I ever ding my current carbon door sills...

The adhesive is good - would likely be a two person job and may actually want to remove the doors but it will roll quite tightly.

https://dragonplate.com/Twill-Weave-Car ... er-48-x-96

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#383 ·
Fbatwork said:
Engine bay looks great!! Unfortunately I don't think anyone is making the carbon door sills anymore.

I've used these guys for Carbon fiber quite a bit - Their veneer is nice and I think that it would work very well for sills (this is what I will likely do if I ever ding my current carbon door sills...

The adhesive is good - would likely be a two person job and may actually want to remove the doors but it will roll quite tightly.

https://dragonplate.com/Twill-Weave-Car ... er-48-x-96" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that...I will look into using them. I would think a custom cut sheet of 12x36 would be sufficient for both sides. When you cut the sheets, is there anything special to do to the edges?

#384 ·
jbrentd said:
Fbatwork said:

https://dragonplate.com/Twill-Weave-Car ... er-48-x-96" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that...I will look into using them. I would think a custom cut sheet of 12x36 would be sufficient for both sides. When you cut the sheets, is there anything special to do to the edges?
For a thinner veneer you can use a good pair of scissors or a razor / utility knife. For frays I trim any outlier strands and then use a clear lacquer to reseal the edge.

Size would depend on how much you want to cover - my sills cover the entire opening so they are 48" long.

#385 ·
Decided to make a run to a local junkyard that had a cabriolet, just to see if there was anything worth grabbing. Glad I did because it had a good belly pan and a few other things I brought home. Didn't really need the B4 hood stuff, but figured it was worth the effort since it was "all you can fit on a wheel barrel for $80" day.

I should have grabbed the window regulators, brake booster and few other things.

#389 ·
Yeaterday, I bled the new master cylinder, connected the hardlines, ABS pump, booster, rack, stabilizer, and tie rods. Also spent way too long fumbling with the battery cable grommet.

I'm trying to figure out where to cut the fuel tank vent line that goes to the evap canister. I am switching to an evap canister that goes in the fender. I think I might just cut it down low where it turns up in to the engine bay and run a rubber fuel hose to the evap.

#395 ·
Fbatwork said:
Flaps look great, what did you use for material?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks. I used this stuff, along with hole punches, rivets, and some plastic retainers.

NABOWAN Solid Rubber Sheets,Strips,Rolls 1/16" (.062") Thick x 11.8" Wide x 47" Long Neoprene Rubber Mat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G5211B6/re ... UTF8&psc=1

#396 ·
jbrentd said:
Made a bracket for and mounted my fan resistor pack. Also got most of the fan wiring done. Does anyone know which post on the 500W fan motor is positive?

Positive post on the fan is the one with the big honking insulator on it. The one that's in contact with the body of the fan is ground/negative.

#397 ·
Berserker said:
jbrentd said:
Made a bracket for and mounted my fan resistor pack. Also got most of the fan wiring done. Does anyone know which post on the 500W fan motor is positive?

Positive post on the fan is the one with the big honking insulator on it. The one that's in contact with the body of the fan is ground/negative.
Thanks, that's what I thought, but didn't want to assume.

#398 ·
jbrentd said:
Fbatwork said:
Flaps look great, what did you use for material?

Thanks. I used this stuff, along with hole punches, rivets, and some plastic retainers.

NABOWAN Solid Rubber Sheets,Strips,Rolls 1/16" (.062") Thick x 11.8" Wide x 47" Long Neoprene Rubber Mat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G5211B6/re ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks