motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

1988 90Q AAN Swap Project

Post subject: Re: 1988 90Q AAN Swap Project
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:28 pm 
Redline?

Ive always been deathly afraid of hail just because of the damage it can do, esp golf ball size. That full coverage really comes in handy sometimes.

Today I was doing exactly what you said, I loosened the nut on that little rotor clamp thing and was just rotating the dizzy slightly, I tried both directions. I didn't notice much of a difference in sound but it did seem like at one point the engine was cranking a little bit easier. I was only at it for maybe 10 minutes though so I will try again after I charge the battery back up to full capacity.

I still haven't checked off all the boxes in terms of spark, fuel, air and compression. All spark plugs and wires are good, Ill have to go and get a fuel pressure meter and a compression tester, not sure how Im supposed to test air though? Really cant see how that would be a problem unless a rabbit climbed up into my intake or something lol.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:15 pm 
Redline?

Ol' girl is finally running again!

A couple weeks after I started working on the car again this year after about a year hiatus, my daily got totalled so I decided to find a shop who could get the 90 running much quicker than I could. I took it to a place called Eurofed Automotive in Atlanta because no one here in Chattanooga would work on it. The mechanic did a diagnosis and confirmed that the engine was not getting fuel. He got a different used fuel distributor because mine was no longer working properly, replaced a fuel line that was leaking and retimed the engine because I had reinstalled the distributor incorrectly. This was enough to get the engine started.

Unfortunately, I have a list of things that need to be done to get the car into good daily driving order.

First and most importantly on that list is to fix the vacuum leaks which there are numerous (cold starting the car is a nightmare), including injector seals, vacuum hoses, and other areas
Fix a coolant leak coming from the driver's side of the engine bay
Reposition tranny slightly to the right so that first and second are easily accessible
Swap out ICV to see if it is bad, or clean it/rebuild it
Check power steering system

The list isnt very long but Im a little worried that fixing the vacuum leaks will be easier said then done. Locating them all and finding the right hose, gaskets, o rings etc might be a challenge.

Among this list there is one more thing - the car is extremely jurky at low revs in low gears when either getting on or releasing the throttle. It feels like driving a car that has motor mounts made of jelly. I dont think motor or transmission mounts could be a problem because I replaced all of them with new units when I had the engine and tranny out. I'm wondering if part of this problem is due to the vacuum leak issue because sometimes when I get on the throttle it seems to kind of hesitate and when it does this the jurking is serious. If anyone has had an issue like this, I would much appreciate your insight.

Hopefully I can get these issues fixed relatively quickly. I really wanted to try out some autocross this summer but the 90 is in no condition to do that right now. Looks like Im gonna have to earn it :P

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:19 pm 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

Glad to see you got back in the saddle.

Vacuum leaks happen, especially over this long of a time period. Silicon hose is cheap and effective, plus it gives you a handy visual reference to what's been replaced.

Couldn't you just adjust the shift linkages? Pretty tough to have a transmission that's bolted to an engine really far out of position...

With the ISV, that's super common. Age and use and all that. Soak it in carb cleaner over night and see how dirty it was. WD40 would work too, just nothing containing silicon.

Considering the age of everything it's probably a good time to just flush the PS fluid. Few years back Mance did a bunch of research on quattroworld that shows Redline PSF is really high quality and reasonable in price. He noticed it tested similarly to the old VW/Audi PSF from the same era of these cars, said that the Redline has really high zinc content which is super beneficial for reducing wear.

The jerking could be a vac leak as noted (injector seals are a likely culprit), maybe it's due to your ISV.

Good luck!

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
|| 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4 #bertancummins
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// #becauseracecar

|| Spare parts for sale

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:05 pm 
Redline?

PRY4SNO wrote:
Glad to see you got back in the saddle.

Vacuum leaks happen, especially over this long of a time period. Silicon hose is cheap and effective, plus it gives you a handy visual reference to what's been replaced.

Couldn't you just adjust the shift linkages? Pretty tough to have a transmission that's bolted to an engine really far out of position...

With the ISV, that's super common. Age and use and all that. Soak it in carb cleaner over night and see how dirty it was. WD40 would work too, just nothing containing silicon.

Considering the age of everything it's probably a good time to just flush the PS fluid. Few years back Mance did a bunch of research on quattroworld that shows Redline PSF is really high quality and reasonable in price. He noticed it tested similarly to the old VW/Audi PSF from the same era of these cars, said that the Redline has really high zinc content which is super beneficial for reducing wear.

The jerking could be a vac leak as noted (injector seals are a likely culprit), maybe it's due to your ISV.

Good luck!

Silicone hose for vacuum lines - noted.

I got some time to work on the car today and turns out youre right, I probably just need to adjust the shift linkage. I was totally overthinking that which is good, because adjusting the linkage is much easier.

As for the ISV, mine is definitely going to need a cleaning. Is disassembly and reassembly a hassle? I noticed the plastic front cover looked like it would come off if rotated. Im not sure how the ISV works mechanically other than the valve part but if its possible to take apart Id love to give it a very thorough cleaning. If not, Ill probably just use carb cleaner or wd40 as you said.

Back when I had the engine out of the car I did end up changing the ps fluid when I put everything back in. I used Liquimoly's "central hydraulic system oil". I might just need to top it off, thats one thing I forgot to check today. If this doesnt work I may try that redline psf, sounds like some good stuff. Thanks for the tip!

I agree the jerkiness may be due in part to the vacuum leaks. I also need to make sure my throttle cable is adjusted properly. I managed to snatch up the last two injector sleeve seals ECS had in stock, but I cant find any more of em other than on Audi Tradition. Looks like those leaks are going to be my biggest hurdle in getting this thing into daily drivable condition.

Thanks for all the suggestions PRY4SNO.

Fingers crossed in hopes that the rain will stop so I can get some work done on the car tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:45 pm 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

I've never disassembled the ISV, just sat the ISV in a container of cleaning fluid and soaked it overnight.

For injector sleeves, if you've already asked 034, maybe Marc at EFI Express or Jeff at Four Ring Performance have some on hand (or can point you in the right direction).

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
|| 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4 #bertancummins
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// #becauseracecar

|| Spare parts for sale

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:04 am 
Redline?

Ive had the ISV sitting in some oreillys brand fuel injector cleaner for a couple nights. I used this stuff because it was much cheaper than buying a bunch of wd40. It smells just like wd so hopefully it will do the trick. I didnt have the thought of contacting 034 or Marc or FRP but I will try that. Will probably also try fcp euro and maybe pelican parts.

Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information