motorgeek.com :: Socially inappropriate motoring information.
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 407 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Rabbit Farmer's 1.8T 4-door money pit

Post subject: Re: Rabbit Farmer's 1.8T 4-door money pit
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:46 am 
I sprinkle rubber on my Cherios

90quattrocoupe wrote:
If you are still looking to change over from 034 to VEMS, Mark Swanson made an adapter cable for my CQ when he changed mine. Used the same sensors and wiring, already installed.
Just a thought.

Greg W.

Good to know. I like options. I’m thinking of just replacing everything as it is quite of. Thinking about potential damaged wires, corrosion, etc over time.

We will see. Thx for the idea.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:06 am 

Good article that talks about Docol R8 tubing. This is what we used in my MK1 Scirocco cage.

https://www.rcnmag.com/tech/docol-r8-a- ... abrication

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:46 pm 
mach 2 with my hair on fire

are those Quantum front spindles on the scirocco? they would have the bigger bearings and the hubs would still be 4 x100.
Do you think there will be any events this year? I bought a car but havent' gone through it yet.

91 200 wagon(round two) pearl white w black leather
2010 A6 3.0T wagon
MK1 scirocco GTL x 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:31 am 

Sciroccohp wrote:
are those Quantum front spindles on the scirocco? they would have the bigger bearings and the hubs would still be 4 x100.
Do you think there will be any events this year? I bought a car but havent' gone through it yet.

Unsure what they are. Some local VW guys (without seeing the front end in person... just pictures I posted) thought they were Audi 4000 rears on the front.

Just guessing. I haven't looked everywhere to see if there is a part number.

Reading through the 2003 Golf magazine, it states "Carrera dampers at the front and rear". It is in the section named "Two-step garage" on page 5. The whole article is fun to read. Very cool car. Bill changed the engine to a 1.8T while still using the 020 transmission.

I really don't know what they are.

He did have a Carrera engine in his old Bug ("the bathtub") that he still holds record for the 100% dirt Mt. Washington hillclimb. Perhaps he had other parts from the donor car.

For events in 2021... still a lot of unknowns when we will start. Waiting for a more open environment in Vermont to allow for hillclimbs. Philo hillclimb is scheduled for May 1-2, but we are still unsure about it until state government makes some changes... might be too early in the year.

It is a bit frustrating, but if that is all I have to deal with in life, I'll take it.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:25 am 

-------------------------------------------------------
**** 1980 Volkswagen MK1 Scirocco ****

Sitting in the garage… planning time for transmission, suspension, etc.

Removed the seat to reinstall it in the Golf in preparation for a track event.

Purchased a new helmet to replace my current Simpson Voyager Evolution SA2010 (size 7 1/2).

I originally ordered the Bell M8 because of the large eye port, but they were not available until June 2021.

Plan B: I ordered a G-Force Nova Helmet SA2020 (size Large) in flat black, a smoke visor (to replace the clear… perhaps I should have gone with an even darker visor), plus some new HANS mounting posts.

I like the fit and it is a bit lighter than my old helmet.

New HANS posts

Single my helmet already has the threaded insert, I did not need the washer/nut combo that goes on the inside of the helmet.

**** 2001 Volkswagen MK4 Golf ****

Time to get the Golf ready for the 2021 hillclimb season, and more importantly, a Test and Tune track event at Club Motorsports (I love this track).

Winter is over and need to find a place for the little snowblower.

Tried to do my own alignment. I have done this before, but it was more tweaking on an existing properly aligned car vs. new suspension, new steering rack (well, just the tie rod ends come into play), new ride height, control arm bushing, etc. etc.

I was out of my element and did not have a lot of experience to know how to do everything correct.

But… there is that darn track event coming up and I needed to get it close.

Goal is -2.30 camber and 1/16” toe out.

I set the camber on both sides to -2.30 (I didn’t take the time to zero the level on the floor… that played into my numbers not quite being correct based on the “real” alignment I got after the track event).

Did 1/16” toe out… well, I did it in CM as it was easier to see on the tape measures.

Ordered a new window net. The mesh is the original and the web is new. (24” wide by 18” tall)

Car is all together and ready for track event… after a much needed car wash. Last time I washed it was prior to the September 2019 hillclimb (Mt. Ascutney).

Loaded and ready to hit the road. One thing that I want to do with the trailer this summer is add interior lights and decorative lights on the awning. Lights would run from a deep cycle battery in the trailer and the battery would charge when connected to the truck. Plus… some cabinets and drawers as digging through bins to find stuff suuuuucccckkkkssss.

Welcome to Club Motorsports in the b-e-a-you-tee-ful town of Tamworth NH.
https://clubmotorsports.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some pictures of all the cars and drivers. Lots of cool cars. Some cars/drivers that I race with at the hillclimbs.

Lots of really cool and fast cars.

Love this purple 2016 Porsche GT3 RS. Fastest time of the day. Hard launches and drove it like it should be driven. Very impressive driving Mr. V. Campbell.

Frog Racing

Chris shake down of the GTR in preparation for Pikes Peak Hillclimb

Our local hillclimb “fast car/driver”… the Super Chicken II

How about a car with no gears or clutch? We had to push him while he engaged the starter to get going. Only way to completely stop is to turn off the engine.

The “Mutt”. Older Subaru body with STI setup.

MK2 Golf with turbo VR6

And now back home after the track event to get a professional alignment at Twisted Wrench in South Burlington, VT. They did the previous alignment on the Golf and did a good job.

Took my about an hour to make this image to try to capture the before and after measurements. The before numbers show my lack of alignment skills. Yellow is before and Green is after measurements. The colors do not signify in or out of spec… just two colors to make it easier to read.

My instructions to them was -2.30 front camber and 1/16” toe out. Everything else just seemed to work out.

And this little gem. A mint vase from my mother’s 1962 (her guess on the year) VW Bug. Includes shiny new looking mounting bracket and original box. Pretty cool

**** 2009 Subaru WRX ****

Well… the plan is to sell it this summer.

Plan for next car is AWD. Might be Subaru STI or WRX. Don’t know yet.

I do not need a car during the summer as I can drive my truck. I don’t drive the truck in the winter except for infrequent trips to the hardware store and dump when the roads are clear… followed by a rinse down when I get home.

I figure the 2012 F250 crew cab 6.7 diesel should be the last truck I ever own… less than 30k miles on it at the moment. Taking care of it to make it last 40 years.

It does need better headlights.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:45 am 

Hopefully these rims work.

Ordered from http://www.FitmentIndustries.com; (working with Richard).

Konig "flow formed" 17x8" | ET40 | 5x100 bolt pattern | 73.1 center bore

The rims come with 57.1 hub centric rings.

I opted to not order their tuner bolts as I run studs... researching what will work for nuts. My studs are M14x1.5 and the Konig site recommends "spline drive, tuner diameter, conical seat lug nuts." I'm never exciting about any product with "tuner" in it.

What I know... conical seat and I have M14x1.5 studs. Just need to get the rims in my hands to determine what to use for nuts.

From ECStuning, I ordered a set of 73.1mm to 57.1mm hub centric rings (want spares and the price was right) along with 10mm spacers with 57.1 lip (I didn't want a flat spacer).

The reason for the spacer is two fold. My current rims are 35ET. With a 4mm spacer, the Yokohama tires (the take-offs from Vermont Sports Car) do work with the suspension, but with the 40ET of the new rims, I calculated that I need 9mm to get the same clearance. After the Yokohama tires are worn, I will be back to using the skinnier Toyo R888R tires on the new Konig rims that will not need 10mm spacers... I will cross that bridge later.

Last edited by Rabbit Farmer on Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:45 pm 

And... now they are telling me they the Konig rims are out of stock. Research continues.

This weekend was the first hillclimb that we have had since the fall of 2019.

New England Hillclimb Association (NEHA) series event
Sports Car Club of New Hampshire (SCCNH) - great host!
Mt. Ascutney
May 2021

I was happy with the performance of the new suspension especially on the very very very very very bumpy section at the top of the hill.

I set the shocks/struts at the mid-point (same as what I used at Club Motorsports earlier this year). Everything felt good. I thought the back floated a little, but it was better on the bumps, transitions, and was very consistent.

The last run of the day, I reduced the fronts by two clicks and did not like the results. It seemed the front didn't stick as well as before. I turned them back one click (now 1 click higher than the midpoint) and did not get a chance to test the change as it started to rain... figured there was no improvement opportunity with the wet surface.

I do need to get new tires to replace what is currently on the car.

I believe I was first in class and fifth overall... not too bad for a front wheel drive 4 banger. :)

Basic video of my fastest run. I left a lot on the table. This was with the 2 clicks softer than mid-point.

Suggest you watch it in 1080HD.

Enjoy.

Steve

Link to video

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 407 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Search this topic:
motorgeek.com :: Board index :: Motorgeek Madness :: Projects

Jump to:  

Information